Monday, April 19, 2010

Suggested Listening - Nick Drake

My good friend Paula introduced me to Nick Drake back in 2005. I knew nothing of him or his music and I'm so grateful that she introduced me to him. He was signed to Island Records at the age of 20. He released his first album Five Leaves in 1969, but this wasn't the first album that I had heard. 



Paula had brought over his CD Bryter Layter  for me (this was my first introduction to his music). I can honestly say that there isn't a song on this that I don't like. Each song seems to flow without effort into the other. One song on the CD is Northern Sky....



This is a great song and I thought that I had heard this somewhere before, but couldn't remember. Another one is titled "Hazy Jane I" my favorite on this CD.



This album (Bryter Layter) and Pink Moon on there release didn't sell more than 5,000 copies. His lack of commercial success in his career is mostly because he rarely performed live or gave interviews. Nick did have loyal group of followers in the beginning and thanks to one of his bigger fans, Joe Boyd (manager) his music still lives on. He put in his original contract with Island Records that Nick Drake's music would never go out of print. I have to say Thank You Joe Boyd because without this I and others may have never discovered his music. 


Nick Drake's ability to write his emotions into his songs is what moves and amazes me. There was a documentary that was done on his life called "A Skin Too Few". This documentary included family movies and pictures as well as his sister Gabrielle Drake. She talked of his music and his bouts with depression and insomnia which he often wrote about in his music. He died at the age of 26 from an overdose of antidepressants which some say was a suicide, but others say was accidental. This documentary tells a sad story, but it tells it with so much artistry and to such emotional effect that the film is one of those rare works that resonates long after it's over. If you become or are a fan of his music I suggest you watch it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment