Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Suggested Listening - Jacob Golden



I discovered Jacob Golden's music in 2007 on Myspace of all places. I can't remember exactly how I came about finding his page, but took a listen to a few of his songs he had posted. He had recently released "Revenge Songs". What I liked most about his music is he writes from the heart. His songs are intimate confessions about his life. He sings about his traumatic childhood being an only child who was orphaned at a young age, and how he chased his dream of a music career, only to have it end quickly. 


He lived with his German-born mother in Sacramento, CA until she fell ill with cancer and passed. Then was sent to live with his father he'd never known only for him to pass from complications of diabetes when Jacob was 16. In his shortly lived band named Birthday (which he formed in the late 90's), the group moved to London to record the one and only EP for the band "Welcome to Life" on the Rough Trade label. When the band broke up in 2001 he stayed in London and continued to chase his dream of musical stardom. While still there he released his first solo album "Hallelujah World" to less that rave reviews. Feeling defeated he returned to back to America to Portland to re-evaluate his career and begin a new life. It wasn't until a year later at a 10 day silent retreat in Yosemite did he realized what it was about music that he was looking for. His realization that being a rock star wasn't the most important thing about his career, it was being genuine. I feel the songs on his "Revenge Songs" CD reflect that (it was released in 2007).





"On a Saturday", is a great song. Other songs on the CD, "Out Come the Wolves, Shin A Light, and the albums title song "Revenge Songs".





(So this isn't a video of the song, but this was the best quality sounding version). I think this is the best song on the CD by far. You can feel his emotions as he sings. I think his sound is similar to Nick Drake. I love that he pours his heart and soul into every song which make this CD sound a bit dark and broody. I was lucky enough to get one of the limited edition handmade copies before the official release. Listening to it again reminds me of how much I like it when I first bought it. I hope that he releases some new material soon. His loyal followers (and me) are looking forward to it.







No comments:

Post a Comment