Friday, May 14, 2010

Flashback Friday - Face to Face





Well if you haven't noticed by now a lot of my flashback posts have been groups/artists from the 80's. In the 80's I was a teenager and music was my escape from everything. I promise I'll do my best next week to pull a song from another decade.....


I was sitting at home this past Tuesday night going through the 300+ CD's, and vinyl I've accumulated over the years. Most of my collection came from my aunt Cynthia who used to take me record/CD shopping in Berkeley every summer here. We'd go to Tower Records (now closed), Amoeba Records, and a few indie stores which are now long gone. As I was going through my collection I remembered a group from the summer of '84. I searched for an album from a group called Face to Face. As I was  looking I remembered that album was one of the many albums I had sold when I was jobless in the early '90's. I kept the majority of my vinyl, but I regret ever selling any of it. Lesson learned. 


After realizing my mistake in my youth I retreated to You Tube to see if there were any of their videos posted. I was happy to have found that there were. "10-9-8" was their first single that I remember hearing and seeing on MTV as well as Night Tracks 





I would spend just about every Saturday nights from 9pm to 12m watching videos on Night Tracks. Another single that came out a few months later called "Under the Gun" which got played  a lot as well.





After watching these videos I search for their music on iTunes. I was excited to find it there. I downloaded it and began listening to it again. I remember how much I loved this album. There isn't one song on it that I didn't like. The songs that I posted are their most popular, but there are others on the album which I felt should have been singles instead of these. I know that Flashback Fridays are usually about one song, but this one is about one album. 


Hearing this album took me back to that summer when I first bought it. It made me miss my record shopping excursions with my Aunt Cynthia to Berkeley. The hours she'd spent walking from store to store with me until I found everything that I wanted to find. And then would pay for it all even though I had my own money. That was 26 years ago, but still seems like last year to me.


Thanks again Auntie.

No comments:

Post a Comment